Solutions for Viber Activation and Registration Issues
This article contains advice for the most common activation and registration issues on Viber.
The following international format should be used for entering a phone number on the Viber activation/registration page:
(Country code)(Area code, without leading 0s)(Phone number)
Viber will automatically detect your country code based on your current location. You can adjust the country code if it is incorrect.
Errors that you may experience regarding your phone number include:
- Number is too short: you haven’t entered enough digits
- Make sure you aren’t missing any digits, such as your area code
- you entered an invalid phone number
- Make sure you entered a number to which you can receive phone calls (not VoIP)
- VoIP number: you entered a VoIP number
- Internet-based phone numbers cannot be used to activate/register on Viber
Registration attempts limit
To prevent spammers from using Viber, there is a limit to the number of times that you can attempt to
activate/register an account.
You will be notified if you reach that limit.
To try activating/registering again, please wait 24 hours.
Outdated version of Viber
An outdated version of Viber may prevent you from activating/registering. To upgrade to the most recent version of Viber visit our website: https://www.viber.com/en/download/
Receiving an ‘activation failed’ error means that your phone number has been blocked from using Viber. This happens if our anti-spam system recognizes the phone number as a previous source of spam.
Contact us if this is your first time registering on Viber (i.e. you have never used Viber before) and you received this message..
Activation failed (2-step verification)
An ‘activation failed’ error after entering your 2-step verification PIN is due to one of the following:
- The PIN you entered is incorrect: tap Try Again and enter another PIN or tap Forgot PIN to reset your PIN using your email address. For more information, take a look at our article on 2-step verification.
- You’re using an old version of Viber: update to the latest version of Viber and try to activate Viber on your phone again.
Activation code: not received
- Make sure that your phone number is able to receive an SMS
- Ask someone to send you an SMS to check
- If you are abroad, you will need to turn on data roaming to receive an the SMS (you can turn it off as soon as you note down the code)
- Switch between wifi and mobile data, and try sending the code again
- Send the code through a call by tapping Activate via call
- Have a pen and paper ready to write down the number
Activation code: incorrect