Call a group of friends, family, or colleagues from your desktop using Rakuten Viber.
See everyone in grid view, share your screen, send messages, and more!
How to start a group call
To start a call with people in an existing group:
- Open Rakuten Viber on your desktop
- In the Chats menu, select the group you want to call
- Click on either the Audio or Video call button (top right corner)
- Select up to 59 members of the group to join the call
- If the group has less than 59 members, everyone will automatically be selected. Click on the Checkmark next to the name of a person you don't want in the call
- Members who are not selected to be part of the call will not be notified that a call was made
- Click Start call
To start a call with people who are not part of an existing group:
- Open Rakuten Viber on your desktop
- Click on Compose (next to the Search bar)
- Click on New group
- Select the people you want to call
- Click on either the Audio or Video call button at the bottom of the screen to create a group and start the call
People who are not in your group can also be added to the call after it has begun. They will not be added to the chat group itself.
Maximum number of call participants
You can have up to 60 participants in a group call (59 plus you).
Add more participants to the call
To add another person(s) to your call:
- Click on the person(s) in your contact list you want to add to the call
- Drag the person(s) into the call screen and release
- Repeat with up to 59 people if desired
- Click on Participants in the control panel: the information bar will open on the right and your contact list will be displayed
- Click Add and select up to 59 people to be in your call
- Finish by clicking Add to call
Send a message to participants during a call
Share your screen
You can share your screen with other call participants by clicking on Share screen in the control panel. To stop sharing, click the now green Share screen button.
Switch between grid and speaker view
When you start a group video call, you will automatically see everyone in the call with the Grid view. To only see the person speaking, click on Speaker view (top right corner). To see everyone again, click on Grid view (top right corner).
You must have the latest version of Rakuten Viber to use Grid view.
Change self-view screen size and position
If your camera is on, you will see a video of yourself during the call. Although you can't hide self-view, you can change the screen size by clicking and dragging the corners when you are in Speaker view.
To reposition the screen, click on and drag your video to another place.
Can I view only a specific person during a group video call?
Yes, you can view only a specific person by pinning their video to your screen. This means that you will still be able to hear the other participants, but you won't see them.
To pin a video:
- Double click on the image of the person
- Click on Participants in the control panel and then on the Pin next to the person's name
To unpin a video (return to speaker or grid view)
- Double click on your screen
- Click on Participants in the control panel and then on Unpin next to the person's name
How do I know I'm receiving a group call?
A call from members of a single group will be displayed using the group's name.
If your call is from people who don't have a group in common, you will see the name of the call initiator plus the number of other participants in the call.
Can I return to a call if I get disconnected?
Yes. If the call is still active, you will see it in your Chats menu. Click on the chat to rejoin with video or just audio.
Discover the control panel
The control panel will be available throughout the call at the bottom of your screen.
The control panel menu
Click on Menu to find the following options:
Enable blur: blurs your background for this call. Click the option again to remove blur (only available on Mac.)
Call settings: test and adjust your microphone and camera settings.
Help: brings you to this article.